Who can apply?
Only Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Partnerships or National Park Authorities can submit applications. However, applications can be developed by anyone. Contact the AONB or National Park authority in your area of interest in the first instance in order to discuss any ideas you may have for a project that could be funded by the Landscape Enhancement Initiative.
Each AONB or National Park can have a maximum of £600,000 worth of live grants at any one time, to ensure that all organisations have a fair chance to earn an award.
How will the AONB Partnerships or National Park Authorities be involved?
The AONB Partnerships or National Park Authorities will normally be involved in:
- working with National Grid to help in the promotion of the LEI and assisting in the identification of possible projects
- advising local groups, communities or others on the development of proposals and applications
- overseeing the implementation and ongoing maintenance/management of approved projects to ensure that money is well spent, objectives are met and quality is maintained
- monitoring and evaluating the benefits of the funded projects over time
- working with the LEI team to publicise projects at a local (and potentially national) level to demonstrate partnership working and promote best practice and lessons learned
Projects that only benefit private property or private individuals will not be considered.
Further information is available on what kind of project can be funded.
Only projects based in the following locations are eligible:
AONBs with National Grid transmission lines running through:
- Blackdown Hills
- Cannock Chase
- Clwydian Range & Dee Valley
- Cranbourne Chase and West Wiltshire
- Dedham Vale
- Forest of Bowland
- High Weald
- Kent Downs
- North Wessex Downs
- Shropshire Hills
- Solway Coast
- Suffolk Coast and Heaths
- Tamar Valley
- Wye Valley
National Parks with National Grid transmission lines running through:
- Brecon Beacons,
- Lake District,
- New Forest,
- North York Moors,
- Peak District,
- South Downs
In addition, we will consider the following areas where the setting of the AONB or National Park is affected by National Grid transmission line, which were included in the original landscape assessment:
- Howardian Hills AONB
- Quantocks AONB
- Northumberland National Park
- Pembrokeshire Coast National Park